Monday, October 1, 2012

Chris Thile Wins MacArthur 'Genius' Grant


Musician Chris Thil has gnawed its way to the MacArthur "genius" grant.

Mandolinist is best known for his work with The Punch Brothers and Nickel Creek. He told The Associated Press he thought the Foundation conversations were political robocall trip before his manager looked at the number.

"I think I had a white" Thil told the AP. "I've never felt so warm inside. My heart was beating. Suddenly, I felt physically very crooked. Tried to catch my breath .... I thought, 'Oh my God, if I win MacArthur? '

The annual honor - awarding $ 500,000 in five years - has also been adopted by scientists, writers and other notables, including Junot Diaz's and mathematician Maria Chudnovsky.

Thil was one of two award-winning artists in this year's series of classical flutist Claire Chase also won the honor. He released three albums with the progressive bluegrass outfit Punch Brothers, last February in "Who's feeling Young Now?" Team "Dark Days", which appeared on the "The Hunger Games" soundtrack. Thil was a frequent player at Largo in Los Angeles, as a resident club performer-producer Jon Brion (Kanye West, Fiona Apple), in the manufacture of 2010 effort "Antifogmatic".

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...